STARLiGHT is a family of noteskins that is compatible with the Dance mode of Stepmania, including the Solo style.
Its modern design, with colors contrasting and readable against light or dark backgrounds, brings the beloved DDR arrow to the 2020s.
It boasts 7 different colorations for maximum compatibility. More on this below.
You may use this noteskin for the following purposes:
- Stepmania gameplay videos on YouTube
- Meme images related to rhythm games
- As official assets for a free or charity Stepmania tournament
You are forbidden from using this noteskin for the following purposes:
- Reuploading without crediting the original designer and the DDR XX project
- As assets to advertise or run a commercial Stepmania tournament
- As assets to advertise an official DDR tournament
For any other purposes, please use your discretion; if you are unsure, please contact the author.
For a rundown of the variations of this noteskin, please see the table below.
|Color-coding*||DDR Note||DDR Rainbow||DDR Vivid||None||DDR Note Extended||DDR Rainbow Extended||ITG|
|Holds||Column-specific, green||Symmetric, white||Symmetric, white|
|Rolls||Column-specific, purple||Symmetric, chartreuse||Symmetric, yellow|
|Avoid objects||Shock Arrows||Mines|
Follows official DDR NOTE standard.
Extends official DDR NOTE standard. Used by yuisin.
Follows In The Groove standard (albeit slightly modified).
Follows DDR RAINBOW standard.
Extends DDR RAINBOW standard to 12 timings.
Follows DDR VIVID standard. Notes cycle through rainbow color pattern, but starting at different times depending on its timing.
Follows DDR FLAT standard. Notes cycle through rainbow color pattern regardless of its timing.
how to use
The STARLiGHT Noteskin’s 7 variations use common assets. STARLIGHT-NOTE is required to use any others (besides STARLIGHT-CYCLE).
To install the noteskin, follow these steps:
- Extract all folders to
/Noteskins/dance. (If you are on Stepmania 5.3, extract to
- If Stepmania is running, reload metrics and textures using F2. If not, simply start Stepmania.
That is to say, the Noteskins folder should look like this:
- starlight-note/ (required)
- image assets
- starlight-note/ (required)
When updating, delete the older version first.
More XX -STARLiGHT-
Other noteskins by Haley Halcyon
FLAT and VIVID preview
Reverse scroll preview
Shock arrow explosion preview
- Web page published.
- Shock arrow explosions added.
- Increased speed of shock arrow sparks.
- Mine explosions added.
- Some syntax errors fixed.
- Explosions no longer use additive blend (except for mine explosions).
- Added Marvelous star particles.
- Made Decent explosions purple in Cel.
- Supported the extra timing windows from SM5.3.
- Added STARLIGHT-CYCLE variant.
- Added the DDR Only pack (NOTE, RAINBOW, VIVID, FLAT).
- Fixed bug where STARLIGHT-SMNOTE sometimes chops off arrows.
- Fixed bug where hold and roll bodies are too long except in STARLIGHT-CEL.
- Fixed bug where taps are chopped off when they are concurrent with hold or roll heads, in STARLIGHT-NOTE and derivatives where taps concurrent with hold heads are drawn as hold heads.
- Re-zipped all archives in order to reflect the changes in the previous update.